What I've Learned through the M.A.T. thus far...


I thought after two years of subbing I was an expert on all things classroom and curriculum. However, after my first month through the University of Alaska Anchorage's Master of Arts in Teaching program, I am pleasantly surprised to say that my educational and pedagogical perspective has already been revolutionized.

Thus far I have learned:

*** The role of the student should be that of an apprentice. Students should be guided in methodological instruction and then gradually released to their own independence to create tangible works within that discipline. As a part of the scaffolding process, students should be introduced to a wide range of texts that emphasize any particular discipline as a dialogue between people and competing ideas. Ideally these texts will help to demystify the language and 'rules of the game' which characterize each discipline, and exposed to ways in which they can make cross-disciplinary connections for the further application of the material into their personal lives.

*** There are countless mediums for the development of student learning. The key thing is that they need a balance; a balance between lecture, class readings, facilitated discussions, hands-on activities, technologically-based instruction, and some good ol' comic relief. This can be achieved in the use and creation of multi-modal texts that bisect a number of pedagogical thresholds. Further, old ideas can be reinvigorated through the process of 'remixing' to incorporate new and relevant meanings.

*** I need to consciously be aware of my own speaking time in class. This involves purposeful moments of silence so that students can reflect on the open-ended questions that have been presented to them. I cannot simply dominate every class period with lecture, as much as I love to hear myself speak. Time must be put aside every week for students to interact and discuss the content with each other in appropriately constructed ways -- so as to keep them on task.

*** The classroom should be relatively democratic. I need to remember that choice is often good, but can also lead to stress -- as in, 'the paradox of choice', wherein too many options can be overwhelming.

*** Capstone projects are the way to go. They allow students to apply their knowledge to a personal passion and create a tangible product that they can be proud of. Assignments should be varied and tied to student interests whenever possible.

These are just a few early conclusions that come to mind. I'm looking forward to seeing how many other pre-conceptions I will have challenged and revised by the end of the program.  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Classes and Extracurriculars I'd Love to Introduce

Philosophy of Education: Restoring the Faith

World Studies: A Blueprint